Magnolia Bakery is one of my favorite bakeries and they are posting recipes every Friday on their Instagram for us! Amazing!!! I’ve been talking about wanting to bake more and now I can bake some of my favorite sweet treats! It’s a great activity for us to partake in while staying at home. So without further ado, we decided to make Magnolia Bakery’s Red Velvet Cake- and it was delicious!
This past Friday, they posted their recipe for a red velvet cake. So, I decided to get baking!
How to Make Magnolia Bakery’s Red Velvet Cake
3 1/2 cups Cake Flour [I didn’t have cake flour, so I used all purpose flour instead]
1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
3/4 cup OR 1 1/2 Sticks of Butter (firm, but at room temperature)
2 1/4 Cups Sugar
6 tablespoons Liquid Red Food Coloring
3 tablespoons unsweetened dark cocoa powder (22-24%), sifted [I used Hershey’s Cocoa powder)
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups Buttermilk [I didn’t have buttermilk, so you can substitute 1 cup of buttermilk by filling a 1 cup with 1 tablespoon of vinegar and filling the rest with whole milk. For the 1/2 buttermilk, substitute by filling a 1/2 cup with 1/2 tablespoon of vinegar and filling the rest with whole milk.]
1 1/2 teaspoons Cider Vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
[I tweaked the recipe a little bit.]
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line cupcake pans with cupcake liners. (I did this last, but you can always start with this first. I also poured the rest of the batter into a baking dish because I didn’t have anymore cupcake pans.)
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour and salt and set aside.
- Then, in a separate bowl, cream the butter on medium speed until smooth. (I used a hand held mixer.) Gradually add the sugar, little by little, and beat until very light and fluffy. (This will take about 4-5 minutes) Then, add the eggs, one at a time. Beat well and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Whisk the red food coloring with the cocoa. Then, carefully add the red/cocoa mix into the batter and mix carefully while scraping down the sides.
- In another bowl, mix the vanilla with the buttermilk. Next, alternate mixing the dry ingredients (flour + salt mixture) and wet ingredients (vanilla + buttermilk mixture) into the batter. Mix some of the dry mixture into the batter, then some of the wet mixture into the batter. Keeping repeating until everything is mixed together.
- Combine the cider vinegar with the baking soda and carefully add this mixture into the batter. Make sure all the ingredients are mixed together well.
- Evenly pour batter into the cupcake liners until they are 3/4 full and bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Top with ice cream and enjoy! (Michelle Fact: I don’t like frosting, so I usually like my cupcakes without it. But, ice cream is always a great alternative! Magnolia Bakery has a cream cheese frosting recipe to go with this delicious treat though!)
These cupcakes came out delicious! They aren’t very sweet, so next time, I’m going to add some chocolate chips into the batter to sweeten them up a little more. Overall, I’m very pleased with how the cupcakes turned out!
Stay safe, stay at home, bake, and have fun. 🙂
With Beauty, Grace, and Love